Today let's discuss how Hospital pathway works in Australia for doctors with Standard pathway.
1. So now you have got your whole new life ahead. You accepted the hospital offer and you are excited to move into the city or region you got the job
2. Once you start, most of you will start as a Resident medical officer or Junior House Officer.
3. The first year is level 2 or PGY2+ Supervision in which your supervisor will assist you with most of the clinical decision you make.
4. Now if you passed AMC CLINICAL, then you will start working under 1 year provisional registration followed by general registration after 1 year which must cover at least 47 weeks and 3 core rotations including medicine, Surgery and Emergency medicine. So when you get the job offer, make sure you ask them to give you the required rotation to have your general registration after 1 year. Otherwise you can get delayed if you dont get these rotations.
5. Those who gets offer with part 1, they get limited registration and they need to pass the amc clinical or finish the work based assessment (hard to get but not impossible) to get the general registration. If you can complete any one of the clinical exam or WBA you will be able to apply for general registration after 1 year of supervision.
6. Once you get general registration, you will be able to apply anywhere in Australia to do work. Cheers
7. If you continue to work in hospital, as a RMO or PGY2+ you will get an amount of 78000-100,000 AUD per annum. Obviously you need to give about 40% tax to the govt of your salary.
8. With more experience you will receive more remuneration when you become Senior RMO and then Principal House officer then Registrar and then Consultant.
It's a long shot and obviously one of the best decisions you could ever make. Don't loose hope, once you are in the system, it will upgrade you. You just need to follow the system and protocol.
Good luck with your job search and good luck with your CLINICAL exam. I will advise to finish the Clinical exam before searching fully for the job cause it takes a huge time.
First aid amc